There are always opportunities to visit and help both short term and long term for healthcare professionals.
We Can Offer
- Transportation in country.
- Stipend to cover basic expenses for longterm volunteers.
- Being part of our family and the opportunity to do very meaningful work.
- Helping the poor.
What You Will Need
- Travel Insurance
- You will very likely need vaccinations for:
- Hepatitis A and B, tetanus.
- Typhoid fever, poliomyelitis (often together with tetanus), cholera and yellow fever.
- You can consider a vaccination for rabies.
- Be aware you will need your yellow fever vaccination certificate before you start traveling.
- Check that you meet the Sierra Leone visa vaccination requirements for your country.
- Check if you need a visa for Sierra Leone. If you do, please be aware where the closest Sierra Leone embassy to you is.
- Inform your bank you are leaving the country and arrange how you can access funds when in Sierra Leone.
What Else Should You Bring?
- Your passport and visa of course.
- Universal electrical plug.
- Your favorite books.
- Sun protection and mosquito repellent.
- Good shoes (for mud, rain, etc.).
- Dollars or Euros (can be changed on arrival or anywhere in emergencies).
- One nice dress or formal shirt and a tie for formal meetings (important).
- The region of Freetown and Waterloo is usually safe for foreigners, however this may not always be the case. It is important to travel during the day as much as possible, to watch your luggage during traveling, to keep your passport and money close by, and to not keep all of your money and credit cards together in one place.
- We can discuss Malaria prophylaxis
- Make a copy/scan before leaving of your passport and flight ticket and save it in your email inbox. That way, you will always have access to it. Copies of all the important documents are essential.
- You can change dollars to Leones in the airport, be always aware of the local rate using a rate app such as XC currency to get an idea and pay a fair price.
- We’ll pick you up from the airport in Sierra Leone.
- No worries, you are part of our family now and we’ll help you as much as possible.